Re: Please help:)

From: San D Hasselman (kprs)
Date: Sun Apr 23 2000 - 06:44:52 PDT

    Molas (and I posted that they are from South America I hope!), are sort of reverse appliques. The artisan starts with a stack of fabric, and builds layer upon layer. The first layer (bottom) is uncut, in the next layer the artisan cuts away from the fabric areas to expose the first layer in certain sports, and then takes the
    edges from the cut, rolls it under and hand stitches that, then applies a next layer, cutting away to expose designs in the preceding two layers, etc, etc, etc. They get very intricate not only in the cutting and layering, but also in the handstitching around the spaces cut. Whereas applique is an adding on of layers of fabric,
    molas is a removal of areas to expose layers.

    I hope that helps.

    San D