Bread Dough Coins, Global Art

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 16:24:52 PDT

    Someone was asking for art ideas for elementary kids. Thought I'd share
    this one from a book I wrote. It's fun!!
    MaryAnn Kohl
    maryann

    Bread Dough Coins
         from the book Global Art
    (For ages 4+)
     Young artists work up a dough from stale bread to make cookie shaped
    coins they can paint.
    GREECE
         Did you know? From the earliest times, people have used salt, nails,
    stones, whale teeth, shells and almost anything imaginable as money.
    Gradually people began to use gold, silver and jewelry as money
    inmanageable and convenient shapes and sizes. The Chinese were among the
    first to use coins, but the Greeks were the first to add art to their
    coins. They stamped pictures of rulers, leaders, heroes, architecture,
    religion, art and athletic events on every coin.

                             Materials
                             white bread, stale (two slices per artist)
                             bowl
                             white glue
                             aluminum foil
                             small, round cookie cutter
                             food coloring and paintbrushes
     Process
    1. Tear the crusts off the bread. Discard or use to feed the birds.
    2. Tear the bread into small pieces and place them in the bowl. Add
    enough white glue to make the bread somewhat wet, but not overly runny.
    3. With fingers, mash the bread and glue together to make a dough-like
    mixture. If needed, add more glue. (Too much glue? Add more bread.)
    4. Hand roll the dough into balls. Then flatten each ball on aluminum
    foil with fingers.
    5. Use the cookie cutter to cut the dough balls into small circles. If
    you don't have a small cookie cutter, use the lids off a medicine bottle
    or even a film canister.
    6. Leave the circles on the foil. Paint designs or pictures on the bread
    dough coins with food coloring.
    7. Then let them dry until hard.

    ---