On digital Photography

From: Woody Duncan (wduncan)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2000 - 15:16:38 PDT

    On teaching photography, I think you are 90% correct. I have not taught
    photography, but I've taken courses from some excellent teachers and
    the important things they taught me were not the technical/chemical
    stuff in the darkroom. I had a young photojournalist visit with my students
    a few years back. It blew my mind that she was using a digital camera then.
    I shoot digital but I will never give up my SLR. I love the feel of it
    even though
    it has too damn many gismos on it. Can you believe it even focuses for me.
    When I got my first SLR, it had a built in light meter. I thought I was cheating
    then. But today I will start my grandchildren off with digital cameras.
                                                            Woody in KC

    I deleted most of the message, but I saved this much:

    When teaching a 15-year-old how to see light, how to use light, how to
    compose a
    frame, how to tell a story with an image, how to communicate visually,
    to work with the elements and principles of design, etc., I find that
    digital camera is a better teaching tool than a 35mm camera because of
    speed - the learning feedback loop is much shorter.

                           To respond to me privately via E-mail
                               click on wduncan
    You are welcome to visit my Web Site at
         the new URL for school is