Re: The Phantom Tollbooth

From: Tsheffey
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 22:33:32 PDT

    Hi,
    One simple idea I have employed when the kids watch a video, whether it be on
    an artist, or a movie is to ask them to create either a bookcover from what
    they see or an advertisement. If watching a video on an artist, I have them
    create a one page flyer advertising this artist and his or her work,
    sometimes in their style. With movies from books, I have had them create
    bookcovers or Movie Posters.
    This seems to work well because they look for things to put into their
    project and it must contain some facts whether visual or verbal.
    After the kids create one, this is a good assignment for them to begin if I
    am showing a video when I am out with a sub. I find it makes them more
    accountable for what they see. Depending on age, this can be done while they
    watch the movie, or if older, list specific objectives, and have them work
    while they watch with sketches and notes and then have one or two days to
    finish the flyer.
    If during the school year, several are created and kept in their porfolio,
    they can make them into a book.
    Another idea you can use with a movie is to have them create another ending
    using illustration.
    Good luck,
    Teresa Sheffey
    El Paso, TX