Re: food art to eat

From: MaryAnn Kohl (maryann)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 16:42:42 PDT

    >A couple of years ago, my students made art out of food!

    Note: I work with younger kids, preschool through upper elementary.

    I like having kids be "food designers" of food that will actually be
    eaten, not thrown away. We start with the idea of chosing a favorite
    bland old boring type of food, like salad or fruit or whatever they want.
    Then I challenge them to think of an artistic presentation of this food,
    either the food itself (cutting, slicing, arranging) or the way it is
    served (the plate, the bowl, the placemat, whatever).

    Out of this have come such things as:
    * a thinly sliced tomato and cucumber salad on a clear glass plate,
    arranged like a kaliediscope, with light shining from behind it and
    through the foods.
    * a boat made out of a banana with carrot oars and a lollipop person
    rowing
    * a stack of crackers and cheese and salami that looks like a tower

    and so on.
    The foods are generally provided by the parents, but we have funds for
    "snacks" and this can be covered through that too. No food is
    wasted...all is eaten by "Somebody", usually the kid who made it plus
    others, often the whole class.

    It's fubn!!
    MaryAnn

    maryann
    http://www.brightring.com

    "It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative
    expression and knowledge."
              Albert Einstein

    ---