Re: Jr. High vs Middle School- what's the diff?

From: JudyandharryS
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 12:45:07 PDT

    Hi Jennie,
        About thirty years ago, I had the opportunity to be in on the first wave
    of Middle School in Maryland. It fell out of favor for a short time (mostly
    due to numbers--
    where is the bulge in the python at the moment?) then returned about 15
    years ago.
    The main difference in philosophy is that while kids are in transition, they
    need some of the kind of support of Elementary programming to more gradually
    prepare for the big, impersonal world of High School. Most Middle schools
    believe in teams of teachers who can be more attuned to individual students.
     In our school of 1200, we have 7 smaller teams--(school within a school
    idea) hopefully knowing each student, discussing academic and behavioral
    issues about specific kids, and giving them more nurture than would be
    possible in a miniature high school.
       Unfortunately, philosophy frequently takes second place to convenience,
    expediency, and economics. "Middle-aged kids" are little fish, easily lost
    in big water.
    I think it is very sad.
    Judy

    ---