paper sculpture

From: Peggy Woolsey (Eoolspeg.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 11:34:58 PDT

    >Does anyone have any experience doing lessons using paper sculpture
    >techniques? For my high school art foundations class I want to use paper
    >sculpture techniques

    Hi Ruth,
            I do a paper sculpture unit with my Visual Arts 110 students. They
    learn all the techniques on a fish which they design. It includes all the
    main folds and cutting steps. Then they do research on a mythical or
    mythological creature (many choose dragons), create a drawing which
    incorporates some personal symbolism, then do a large piece in paper
    sculpture.They use only white paper. They put in a background as well. Many
    creative innovations occur. I display them with lights shining down and
    they are very effective. I really like the idea of doing this from a major
    painting. Some pattern surfacing on paper would fit in (thinking of artists
    like Klimt). Peggy

    ---