Re: paper sculpture

From: Christy Kane (claygoddess31)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 18:33:59 PDT

    >Ruth,
    I had the kids construct a column (tube) from oak tag, they could keep it
    round or fold it into square, triangular, rectangular, whatever they chose.
    They then had to open up the form using scissors. I showed them several
    paper folding techniques, and let them practise on a mini model.We discussed
    asymmetricl and symmetrcal balance, and pos & neg. space. They then had to
    choose what they were emphasizing with their form, pos. or neg space. It was
    great to hear their comments as they realized what happened when they opened
    the form and realised there was another side to be dealt with - the inside.
    I have them fill out a critque sheet when they finished in which they had to
    defend their ideas and discuss whether they were succesful or not.
    Christy