Re: student groupings by class

From: Melissa Enderle (melissae)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 18:28:29 PDT

    >Hi everyone, our principal is thinking of changing our current practice
    >of heterogeneous groupings of students to a homogeneous grouping. do
    >any of you have experience with this?. Our school district currently
    >has the 'academically challenged' students in homogeneous classes, but
    >the rest are all heterogeneous.( All abilities in one class) We also
    >practice inclusion and I'm not sure how this would fit into the picture
    >yet. If you have any input, I would love to hear it. Also, if you know
    >of any research on this subject, I'd appreciate that as well.
    I teach at a school which has multi-age, multi-ability classrooms.
    Overall, it works pretty good. I guess it's because thought is given
    to which classroom would the student best succeed. As many of you
    know, Gaenslen is a school with a 40% disability rate. It's a little
    harder with mixed classrooms to tell who was held back, etc. Some
    seem to benefit from having a teacher for the second time around. I
    also like how the older students tend to help the younger students.
    Sometimes, it's the opposite!

    --
                        |          Melissa Enderle         |
                      /)|        melissae       |(\