Re: Artists in Residence

From: Dennis Morris (theartboss)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 18:27:15 PDT

    I have co-ordinated several air in my schools and can
    provide some info about Illinois. ( I have done short
    term airs and plan on doing more after retirement in
    June, but have never been co-sponsored by State AIR )
    In Illinois the AIR should always have certified
    personnel with them. The residency is not to be used
    to gain release time for teachers or replace an art
    program. Resident artists usuially work a twenty hour
    week. We scheduled 3 hours of a core class, 12 hours
    of other classes, 4 hours of prep., and one hour
    community. These times may vary but the Arts Council
    believes in providing adequate time for preparation.
    The AIR's in my school included, Theater and Folk
    Music and Storytelling. A budget includes $$$ for a
    guest artist too.
    Dennis Morris