Re: Mondrian lesson?

From: Bicyclken
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 20:15:01 PDT

    I roll my kids into nonobjective with a lesson on Richard Diebencorn and how
    he used the streets and buildings of San Francisco to create non objective
    designs. We then look at interior and exterior architecture. By using a
    finder we look for compositions and stress that we are going to stretch these
    edges and lines to very basic shapes like Diebencorn.

    They make a few sketches and then we remove the finder images and they refine
    them by looking at their work and seeing if they can see the principles of
    design. Value patterns are discussed and they plan the dark middle and light
    areas. A color scheme is worked out (whole other lesson) and 10 colors are
    chosen to complete a value scale.

    They learn hard edge painting with removable tape and textured areas with
    sponges, and gradations with a brush. These have come out pretty good and
    the kids start to realize how much it takes to create nonobjective work and
    appreciate a good one when they see it.

    Ken Schwab
    San Jose CA

    ---