paper sculpture

From: Gumart1
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 19:37:20 PDT

    Hello all out there,
    Does anyone have any experience doing lessons using paper sculpture
    techniques? For my high school art foundations class I want to use paper
    sculpture techniques (crimping, crumbling, twisting, scoring, folding etc.)
    to re-interpret a great masters paintings. I want to teach them that paper
    normally considered flat can be sculpural in so many ways, and get in some
    art history. I was thinking of using the work of Monet, VanGogh, and Klimt
    because their "looser" work lends itself well to wide interpretation in what
    techniques the kids use to reinterpret the painting. Do you have any ideas
    on other artists to use? Or if you think the kids would get frustrated trying
    to do this and I should just teach them the techniques and let them create
    their own landscape? Comments, feedback? I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks, Ruth in IL

    ---