Re: coffee filters and batik....

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 09:28:50 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************
    ************************
    > Bunki - did you then iron out the wax as in the traditional method or leave
    > it in ? > This sounds exciting - perhaps could be used with smaller filters
    (cost) and > another> type of resist that would be safer with little ones -
    I;ll think about this > one. Thanks> Roberta
    ************************

    HI. Yes. You can iron out the wax with layers of newspaper OR you can leave
    it in...whatever. She had us iron it out.

    You can order the big coffee filters from TJ Hammett for $25/250 or you can
    be resourceful and find them yourself at your local resturant supply store
    for less than 1/2 that price. I got a box of 250 (size 18 1/2" diameter) for
    $9.99. The first store I tried didn't have them but the next one did so keep
    asking.

    I'm going to try doing it with watercolors this week instead of the dye I
    used last week and see how it goes. The dye is better, I'm sure, but the
    watercolors applied really heavy should do the trick as well. As I sit here,
    I'm wondering if just wetting the individual area with water and brush and
    then applying marker very lightly might work too. Hummmm. Toodles.....

    ---