RE: digital camera

From: Chris Baer (cbaer)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 04:47:10 PDT

    Hi-

    I have to disagree with the floppy-disk-using Mavica supporters. In order
    to fit images in such a small amount of storage space (a floppy disk) the
    Mavica sacrifices image quality. If you look at the digital camera
    comparson charts in zdnet.com and in the computer magazines, you'll notice
    that the Mavicas some in near the bottom in image quality. The Mavica is
    fine for webpages and snapshots, but for high-quality images that are meant
    to be printed, you really need another camera - one that uses a flashcard.

    You shouldn't store your images on the disk or card anyway - always move
    your images to the hard drive of your computer, so you have fresh "film" to
    recycle. Floppy disks go bad often. (Also, the moving parts in the floppy
    drive system in your camera is much more prone to damage than the
    solid-state flashcard systems.)

    I used a Mavica for two years in my classroom, and although it was
    wonderful at the time, I am much more pleased with my new flashcard-using
    camera (a Nikon Coolpix). I can fit 20 very high quality images on a
    flashcardUsing a $50 flashcard reader, the images copy to the hard drive
    much more quickly than from a disk, and the prints are 35mm equivalent. I
    have reused the same flashcard hundreds and hundreds of times.

    In the classroom, it's wise to buy a second flashcard so that one group of
    students can be moving files onto the computer while another group uses the
    camera. Also, buy an AC power adaptor so you don't need to waste batteries
    in the classroom.

    Hope that helps!

    Chris Baer
    MVRHS