I should know this

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 12:37:18 PDT

    Has our western calendar been imposed on other cultures in their day-to-day
    lives, and their own calendars now used for special occasions and religious
    ceremonies (Like the 3rd Sunday in ordinary time or the 1st Sunday of Lent
    in the Catholic Church doesn't fall on the same date every year)? Or do
    members of the business community who deal with the West on a regular basis
    use our calendar, while other calendars based on the cultures own traditions
    used in the day-to-day business of the culture? This has bugged me since the
    Millennium Celebrations around the world including in cultures that have
    little reason to date anything from the birth of Christ, since their
    religious beliefs come from other roots. I am working on a couple of lesson
    plans based around the theme of calendars, and this was one of the questions
    kids might ask questions that I brainstormed. I would like to have a good
    answer for them.

    Thanks,
    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator