Re: Maya Lin, Andy Goldsworthy

From: mscurfield (mscurfield)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 11:08:29 PDT

    Dear Ann,

    How good of you to take the time to track down Maya Lin for me. AndyGoldsworthy isnot inexpensive, but he is supposed to be wonderful. The Herbert F.Johnson Museum of Art at Cornell University is currently having aninstallation of his works. Plus last October he created his inspiring art
    works in Cornell's gorges and now the photographs of those works are displayed on the walls with an installation made of sticks on the floor ofthe gallery.

    I've never been in charge of anything this high stakes before. Either Andy Goldsworthy or Maya Lin would be high draws, but involve partnering organizations. We have a professor and painter at University of Kansas--Roger Shimomura, a Japanese-American artist (3rd gen), who would also be wonderful, and probably a lot more doable. But I still want to
    pursue having Maya Lin come. Ideally, wouldn't it be great to have someone commission her to make a sculpture/fountain for Wichita and come to talk about it?

    My husband was born in Pittsburg. His parents went to Carrick High School and many of his aunts and uncles still live in outlying areas. The generation before that lived in Mohongehala City. It truly is a small world, isn't it?

    I teach 3 days a week for the Wichita Public Schools--elementary art, two mornings at Wichita State University--elementary art methods, and one day for Arts Partners, a new organization which infuses arts programming into the general curriculum. If you are doing 400 grade cards, you must also be at the elementary level?

    Thanks for your help.

    Sincerely,
    Marcia, Derby, KS

    ---