Re: Help! (extra money)2

From: mscurfield (mscurfield)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 08:16:59 PDT

    I had a chance to talk to the Ellison (?) people at the NAEA conference and was impressed with all the fun things a die-cut machine would do. Putting one in your teacher's work area would get used a lot I think.

    Doesn't it make you just a bit crazy that those Title monies have to be "used up" when other schools are hurting for the basics? I'm not faulting your school here, but the system in general. Our state legislature passed a bill where the little (rural) districts in our state get more state monies per student, while the big city districts (with a much higher percentage of at-risk and special education students) get less. Their reasoning is that smaller districts are less efficient to run than large ones. What I see at our state meetings, however, is that those small districts have the budgets to do it up right while the rest of us are really hurting. There is no parity in education.

    And when the administrators get a big chunk of money, do they give the teachers time to plan how best to spend it TO HELP THE STUDENTS? Often we are rushed to spend the money or lose it.

    Marcia, Derby, KS

    ---