Re: oil pastels

From: Rdunkelart
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 12:17:06 PDT

    Have you used the new Portfolio oil pastel watersoluable crayons from Crayola.
    They are absolutely wonderful and I don;t think as sticky. When the projects
    are at an end edges can be softened with abit of water - or more for a more
    watercolor
    effect. I love these and am in the middle of a very successful Impressionism
    project with my fourth graders - looking at Monet's Japanese bridge for
    inspiration.
    Even the behavior problems have settled down and are "enjoying" the
    spontaniety
    of Impressionism and the brilliance of these pastels. If you can get the
    students
    to do the short choppy strokes and lay one color next to one another it is
    instant
    success and even those who have "colored in" can smooth with water and when
    wet
    or dry lay in other colors. Almost goof proof except those that are heavy
    handed and
    I tell them if it is layered on like butter they will switch to ordinary
    crayons. Works
    Roberta

    ---