Re: oil pastels

From: Bicyclken
Date: Sat Apr 15 2000 - 08:26:38 PDT

    I have been using oil pastels for about 15 years and I have found that I can
    blend them with a cheap tortillion or take the stiff tan paper towels and
    fold them in half and then across and across again. Tape with masking tape
    and you have a cheaper tortillion. Q-tips and such wear out quickly but can
    be good if you have a big supply.

    I use the cheap oil pastels (segura, pentel) because I give a box to each of
    my students (resale) They can blend easily and we use a lot of whites, so I
    buy extra whites. They do their work on illustration board because of the
    many layered build ups.

    Oil pastels can look great and when sprayed with a gloss fixative can be very
    polished looking. We have won many awards with these, just lately a Best in
    Show at our Senior Only contest in our district.

    Just a few thoughts,

    Ken Schwab
    San Jose CA

    ---