wear gloves to cut lino

From: skygeoff
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 17:39:22 PDT

    Here's how I keep my students from cutting themselves when they are carving
    lineoleum: they have to bring a heavy winter glove to school or an oven mitt.
    They only need one glove because they wear it on the hand that is not carving.
    Of course, that is the hand that always gets cut. They put masking tape name
    tags on their gloves and keep them in school for the duration of the project.
    No one is allowed to carve without wearing the glove. No one has gotten cut in
    the five years I've been doing this. They all think it's funny when they're
    lined up outside in the hallway with their gloves on the first day. Now I have
    a large collection of gloves from kids who have left them behind. So I really
    don't need them to bring them from home any more. But they like bringing in
    their own gloves. I usually do this project in the winter when their gloves are
    around anyway.

    Sky

    ---