Re: pulling classes... question

From: gregjuli
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 14:02:06 PDT

    hi Teri,
    Boy does your letter sound familiar---been there, done that.......
    We had a similar situation at our school, only the music teachers are
    veterans. We've knocked heads quite a bit in the past, but I feel that we
    know have come to an "understanding".
    I generally will let the kids be excused from class if they have given me fair
    warning. I will not let them out if someone is doing competition work, at a
    certain point in clay , or if the situation is that I really need them in
    class to be a part of something particular. They do support our annual art
    event with providing musicians and they have let kids out of their classes
    when I needed them to finish work for a competition. It wasn't always that
    way. The worst time of the year is the Christmas concert season. But since I
    know it is coming, I just grin and bear it. But I am sure glad we have
    worked it out.
     Stand your ground, but be flexible to a certain point. Only you know what
    the kids really need to be there for. Discuss this with your principal.
    MaryB

    Teri Mason wrote:

    > Hi Gang,
    > I have a situation that I am dealing with that is kind of bothering
    > me... maybe y'all can tell me if it's normal or not. The music teacher
    > (new this year) has been routinely pulling the students from a given
    > grade level for a week or two at a time to practice for "shows" that
    > they do for the parents. This time, I have to give up my 3rd graders
    > for TWO WEEKS!!

    ---