Re: Powerful statement/ more plilosophy

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 08:35:06 PDT

    My parents never tied my shoes for me after I had learned. ( one
    example) They waited patiently for me to finish. I was born (1939)
    with severe brain damage and they could easily have helped "the poor
    child" and made it easier on themselves. They would surely be
    helping me still instead I am able to operate independently.

     In college many of my dorm mates had parents who constantly helped
    by picking up and delivering laundry, running errands, bringing food,
    and controlling decisions rather than offering advice. I noticed
    these kids wanted to make decisions for themselves and were sneaky ,
    did not seek adult advice and made stupid mistakes. They didn't want
    parents to interfere but they weren't willing to give up all the
    favors that went along. We had many discussions about this conflict.

    I was always comfortable asking council from my family because they
    gave opinions and insisted that I decide for myself. There were times
    I would have liked for them to make it easy for me and choose. If I
    started whimpering in that direction someone would remind me that It
    was my decision and they would be there to celebrate with me if all
    went well and to support me if I took a nosedive.

    Since this is the way I was raised I would naturally approach teaching
    this way. I don't mean that the students make all the decisions.
    There are decisions that are mine and decisions that are theirs. I am
    very clear which is which. It is a good feeling to watch a child who
    is pampered at home become more and more independent.