RE: First day of art camp

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 08:14:34 PDT

    > What is a good suggestion for what to do for the first day of
    > camp? We have
    > 1 1/2 hours. Groups are divided into similar age groups 6-7;
    > 8-9-10; 11-12;
    > 13-14. How about a project about names?

    If you want a good 'get acquainted' and 'trick to remember names' activity,
    try this one. Have each student come up with an adjective which describes
    him/her AND starts with the same first letter as his/her name. For
    instance, I might be Loquacious (extremely talkative) Larry (very fitting!).

    Variations:

    1) Require that the students add a physical motion to characterize their
    adjective;
    2) Require that each student repeat all of the adjective-name combinations
    which have been given before their turn, pointing to each previous student
    as their name is said.

    Larry

    ---