Re: misguided help/ a little pick-me-up after the daily grind

From: Rdunkelart
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 14:35:36 PDT

    In a message dated 4/12/00 8:27:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
    heneborn writes:

    << Accomplishment is empowering. >>

    Such a wise analogy. Now help me with an over-acheiver. He gets into
    trouble in
    art because he says "he isn;t good at art" (is also very spoiled by Mom).
    This child can draw better than most fourth graders but often won;t - wants
    to torment other children instead. I have tried to challenge him but he
    won';t accept the challenge. He doesn't like my positive comments on his art
    - shuts down when I am near. I talked to him today and asked what he expects
    of himself. He said to do better than anyone else because that is what his
    mother told him in all subjects. I held my hands as far apart as I could and
    said I see you expecting yourself to be as skilled in art as a professional
    artist but you are a fourth grader and this is where your skill level is
    expected to be - held my hands about 1/4 of the distance. So how about if we
    look for this amount of skill and I held my hands a little farther apart _-
    as he can
    easily achieve higher than a fourth graders skill level and said he won';t
    settle for
    the expected. Am I encouraging this guy or discouraging him. My son has
    been an overachiever in his mind but an underachiever in life - I never did
    find an answer for him - so am lost with this type of student. Help please.
    Roberta

    ---