misguided help/ a little pick-me-up after the daily grind

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 08:22:49 PDT

    I did that once to a butterfly and I have carried a sick feeling for
    the butterfly ever since. That was a very difficult lesson for me.

    When my nephew was just crawling he tried to climb up on a low chest.
    It was quite a struggle and he fell back to the start several times.
    My pregnant friend who was visiting felt sorry for him and lifted him
    to the top. He sat on top and gave her a look that would burn
    straight through and climbed down and started over again. Each time
    she helped him to the top when he started to struggle. Eventually he
    screamed at her when she tried to put him on top. He tried several
    more times and finally reached the top on his own. He threw his arms
    into the air and squealed with delight, climbed down and went off to
    play with something else.

    She was very puzzled. I tried to explain that the goal was not to be
    on top but to get to the top. Hope she remembered that when she had
    her child.

    I mention this because there is a correlation between this and
    teachers who draw on students work. Some do because they want to be
    helpful and the help is misguided, and others do it because they need
    to be needed. Either way it creates helpless students and that is not
    what we are about. Accomplishment is empowering.

    ----------
    >From: "Aaron and Jennifer" <THEGREEN99>
    >Subject: a little pick-me-up after the daily grind
    >Date: Tue, Apr 11, 2000, 4:36 PM

    > BUTTERFLY'S WINGS

    > One day a small opening appeared on a cocoon, a man sat and watched
    > for the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body
    > through that little hole. Then it seemed to stop making any progress.

    > It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it could and it could go no
     further.

    > So the man decided to help the butterfly, he took a pair of scissors
    > and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon. The butterfly then
    > emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings.

     The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that,
    at=20
     any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support
    the
     body,
     which would contract in time. Neither happened! In fact, the
    Butterfly
     spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and
     shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.

     What the man in his kindness and haste did not understand was that
    the
     restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get
     through the tiny opening were God's way of forcing fluid from the
    body
     of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for
    flight=20
     once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

    ---