RE: Using Art Museums

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 05:55:15 PDT

    Pam,
            I tried to send this off list and it bounced back. Could you send me a copy
    of the article, please? Also, do you know how long it took build the program
    she is referring to? Our educator is a district employee. According to the
    museum's education plan this was suppose to be a building year, but we just
    found out the school district wrote its own expectations, that we were never
    notified of and they include that the educator was to have contact with
    every teacher and every student this year. Meanwhile the majority of
    teachers believe that they can't come to the museum because of field trip
    restrictions. The superintendent announced last month that coming to either
    CAM or SAMFA is not a field trip, but similar to visiting an enrichment
    teacher on another campus. As long as they find a way to pay for the bus,
    they can come as often as they like. Two elementary schools have added
    annual visits to the museum as an expectation on their campus improvement
    plans. We are piloting a writing program with a 3rd grade class. I have a
    teacher coming to the museum for a ceramics class (this in addition to an
    earlier trip). The SAGE (San Angelo Gifted Education class), 1 hs teacher, 1
    JH teacher, and three Region XV teachers have exhibits up at The Children's
    Art Museum right now. We opened last night. I got approval last night to
    apply for a Crayola Dreammakers grant that will provide money for teacher
    inservices, and an exhibit next year of children's art (we want this to be
    an annual show). We intend to show teachers how to add Art History to these
    lessons. We are collaborating with the community education program to add
    after school programming for all grade levels. The educator is teaching a
    two-part portfolio class, collaborating with the high school teachers to do
    it.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator