"Before there was underwear!"

From: Rdunkelart
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 05:11:29 PDT

    Took third grade students to Art and Archaeology, at the University of
    Missouri
    in Columbia, yesterday. Touring the Greek and Roman cast room was a big
    concern of the third grade homeroom teachers and they wanted me to skip that
    room. I insisted that we see it. and the students reacted politely and with
    good questions. I had prepared them by talking about the Greek and Romans
    wearing large sheets of material draped into a toga of sorts and that pants
    and underwear as we know them had not been invented yet. We tried on the
    bedsheet clothing at school so they knew how clumsy it would be to
    participate in the Olympics. In the painting exhibition our elderly docent
    showed us a painting on mythology -( sorry can;t remember names now) a well
    muscled god is standing before a forge, with only
    an apron on, ( leaving his backside exposed.) He is arguing with a goddess.
    The docent asked "does anyone see something wrong about this painting" one
    little girl said "He isn;t wearing any pants" another child answered "thats
    because it was painted before there was any underwear". The docent was taken
    aback and said
    without smiling
    "no that's not it there is an extra hand where the artist made a mistake and
    tried to paint it out but with time it has come through the paint". No one
    saw the extra hand until it was pointed out. I hadn;t known about it before
    this. After all this the
    African sculpture with exposed body parts didn;t phase the third graders at
    all. It was a fun trip. So some nudes can be good nudes!!! Roberta

    ---