Re: Drawing hands

From: KLMVisArt
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 15:17:28 PDT

    I do hand drawings with my fifth graders as a part of our unit on da Vinci-
    an interdisciplinary learning experience. I give a handout with the artist's
    anatomical drawings and a xeroxed reproduction of his hand studies. We warm
    up by doing blind contour drawings, followed by observation drawings with
    value, and at the close of class we search the Internet for an image of
    Leonardo's hands while hooked up to a large screen television. After doing
    their own drawings they were all impressed to see a large reproduction. If
    there is any time left this is a great chance for me to expose them to some
    of his other works(introducing his inventions for the next lesson). I will
    try to get back to you with more details and a list of books that I use. I
    was told by the classroom teacher that poked her head in during cblind
    contour that "I thought for a second they might be in trouble- They were so
    quiet." This really is a wonderful way to improve their concentration and
    observation skills.
    Good luck!
    Kerry

    ---