re: Working alongside students?

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 13:04:52 PDT

    I often work alongside my students. I rarely finish, though. What they
    do see are examples of mine, as well as past student work, before they
    start a project. What I have taught them is that to get it to look like
    mine, it takes "practice, practice, practice" (I can just hear them
    chanting it back to me in my mind). Each time I start a new skill (or
    re-introduce it for the first time in the year), I relate it to learning
    to walk. I imitate a baby trying to pull himself up and falling down
    again & again. Then, after much practice, I am able to start to walk,
    etc. They really understand this and MOST of the time, they are able to
    look at my work and have something to strive for. Another thing they do
    is watch my technique and they do use it (brushstrokes, for example, or
    coloring all the same direction, or how I load my brush, etc). I
    rotate where I sit so that I sit with different kids each time (when I
    do work with them, which isn't everytime). It also cuts down on
    behavior probs since I am right there with them. It also encourages
    them to work like real artists, that is not constantly talking unless it
    is about their piece. I believe it's important to have them see how an
    artist works, since often the teachers (and parents) view "specials"
    classes as play time or recess, and I want them to take it seriously.

    teri

    ---