Re: Easy Class

From: Bicyclken
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 12:59:32 PDT

    Art has long been a dumping ground for counselors to use when the student
    struggles or is without direction. I have had many successes with these
    types of students and they can point to these successes and reassure
    themselves that they did the right thing.

    I will not reduce the standards for my class and the grades earned are not
    just for showing up. They work hard for an "A" and will be the first to tell
    you so. If we can have a program that will be a creative outlet for some of
    these lost students, then good. But don't let the quality for an "A "go down
    because then They will think of it as easy and not important.

    I have traditionally had many students who are in the top 10% of the
    graduating class (high school) and many class officers. They are there
    because I challenge them mentally and with involved art projects that they
    can be proud of.

    We can't stop the counselors but we can keep our on reputation high by not
    compromising the quality of the instruction.

    Ken Schwab
    San Jose CA

    ---