When the kids finish early

From: skygeoff
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 05:33:33 PDT

    I teach grades one through five. All year long I have a contest going for kids
    who finish their work early (and well). They may design a coloring sheet for
    the rest of the kids to color. It has to be outlined in a fine black marker or
    drawn in dark pencil because if their picture is chosen I will zerox 3 copies
    for the child who drew it and 20 copies to be put in a box in the classroom.
    So when they finish early they can design a coloring sheet or color the ones
    made by other students. They may do any subject but they know I'm partial to
    the ones relating to the current unit we're doing. I tell them I only chose
    neatly drawn, complicated and original pictures to copy. This is quite popular
    and children even do them at home and bring them in. I make sure their name
    and class is clearly visible, too.
    I also have a box of modeling clay, cardboard placemats and a large collection
    of clay tools for children who want to do 3d work. They love this but I only
    let my best behaved, quietest classes use the clay. Their art project has to
    be completely finished (in my opinion) for them to do any of these things. It
    works very well.

    Sky

    ---