Peanut butter jars - a warning

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Sun Apr 09 2000 - 14:16:44 PDT

            If you use peanut butter jars, please clean them with boiling water. Even a
    small residue of peanut oil could send someone with an allergy to the
    hospital. They don't have to eat it; simply touching peanuts (peanuts,
    peanut butter, peanut oil) can cause a life threatening reaction. The
    reaction in this type of situation seems mild at first. You don't even
    recognize it as a reaction. You slowly feel worse, and sleepy. In high
    school, I had this type of reaction. If my little sister had not come into
    my room and called my parents in when she couldn't get me to wake up, I
    would have died in my sleep. My Mom used to check my seat on airplanes, and
    wipe down the tray with those clean up pads when we traveled. This type of
    allergy is one reason airlines are moving to pretzels or potato chips for
    snacks instead of peanut packets. Ironically the first time this happened to
    me, I flipped the package over to read the ingredients and the last line
    was - "this product may contain traces of peanuts" BTW all Nesley (sp)
    chocolate products now carry the same labeling including previously safe
    products.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator