Re: Working alongside students...?

From: Tom Johnsen (koordt)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 19:53:22 PDT

    I always work alongside my students, and usually have work lying around that I pick
    at from time to time, even abandon, to pick up again much later, possibly with
    another class. I encourage kids to put their mark in it, and utilize their ideas or
    even cover them over. "It's underneath, holding the other work up so we can see
    it." I have an archeologist's eye to art. Everything underneath has to be there for
    the historical support.

    But right now, is anyone using problem based education? I'm encouraging my students
    to take over the class this last quarter and bring in projects they want to do from
    home, or contribute to a video on art history: a Dave Letterman style talk show,
    complete with commercial interruptions and news broadcast, using kids who want to
    be actors, kids who want to be the tech crew (camera operators, sound, lights, and
    scripts). We want to put it on the Public Access channel in town (that will be
    their "A+" grade). The kids will negotiate with the local people in charge (or find
    out why they can't). Others may do a short video cartoon, perhaps, and those kids
    who remain clue less or who simply can't come up with their own project, and don't
    like any suggestions, can help paint the room. Right now, I 'm writing up the
    criteria for projects and engagement.

    I checked with other teachers and they all wished me luck.

    me too.

    Any ideas? Has anyone done this before? Someone wrote: when testing the waters
    don't use both feet. Some waters can only be tested this way.

    Tom in Potter

    ---