LA Convention

From: Michelle H. Harrell (michelle_h_harrell)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 17:17:11 PDT

    Hello fellow artsednetters!
    It was so nice to meet many of you in LA and I'm sorry I didn't get to meet
    more of you! I thought I'd share some of my favorite moments of the
    convention for those of you who didn't get to go.

    My favorite presentation was one where the presenter didn't even show up.
    It was regarding the role of art teacher versus artist and over 50 people
    came. When we heard that it had been cancelled, the group just decided to
    gather our chairs in a circle and share why we had decided to come to that
    presentation. Many of us shared our frustrations in trying to make art
    while struggling to work, raise a family, and do other things (like life) on
    the side. I loved it!

    The round table sessions were great because it was casual and you could
    browse from one to another. The one I got the most from was Mrs. Harness
    from Texas who shared her list and resources for getting free stuff for her
    school. I've already revised my scrap box list and have planned to visit
    the construction sites from her ideas. Also, there was a great Internet
    Copyright Round table session that I visited that I've forgotten the name of
    the presenter. Good stuff!

    Yes, I must admit I had a ball at the opening night reception despite what
    others might have said about overcrowding and lack of food. That's just
    what you get when you crowd 4,000 art teachers in one building. I may not
    of been able to get my lemon bars but they kept the Chardonnay coming! I had
    a great time at the opening reception, the Sanford ice cream reception, and
    at the Getty Open House. Of course, I reached art teacher ecstasy the last
    10 minutes the commercial exhibits were open... gathering everything they
    didn't want to take with them. What fun!

    I'm working hard on finding grants to fund my fun for NY!
    Michelle H. Harrell
    michelle_h_harrell
    North Garner Middle School
    Garner, North Carolina