Introduction and Request for Help

From: Debra Kozak (berkana)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 16:32:15 PDT

    My name is Debra Kozak and I just joined the Arts Educators list as well
    as ArtsEdNetTalk. I have been a professional artist for over 20 years.
    I have taught a wide range of subjects at various arts organizations and
    in my studio. My students have ranged in age from 6 to 86. I will be
    implementing an art program at my daughter's parochial school in the
    fall. I do not currently have state certification but will be working
    toward it during the next year. I have some knowledge of standard
    methods and procedures in art education as I worked at a
    major unversity in its art education/teaching certification program. I
    have joined the NAEA, am purchasing some of their publications, and
    intend to access as many resources in art education as I can.

    Now, here is where I need some help or advice. Since the school where I
    will be teaching has never had an art education program, I need to start
    from scratch. The art room layout is not a pressing matter yet.
    However, I have been requested to provide the school with a list of art
    supplies by the beginning of May. I realize that the types of materials
    I want to procure will depend in part on the projects that I assign. I
    am already writing a letter to the student's parents that will introduce
    me and request specific items that I would like the parents to gather
    over the summer to provide me with some of the "found" or "free"
    materials I could use. I also intend to ask for donations from various
    businesses in my community. The advice I need, though, is how much
    drawing paper, construction paper, poster paints, watercolors, etc., do
    I need to purchase to give me adequate supplies for this first year? Or

    what sort of basic budget do you think would be reasonable and
    sufficient for starting a new program? The school has approximately 400
    students.

    I realize that this is asking a lot but any suggestions or advice you
    can offer would be deeply appreciated.

    Thank you,
    Debra Kozak
    St. Mary School