Working alongside students...?

From: Patricia Knott (pknott)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 11:35:42 PDT

    Oh how I wish I could work, too. Every time I give an assignment, I tell
    the kids "this is what I'm going to do..." I never finish what I start.
    But, I do think it is very valuable for my students to know that I am a
    "real" artist. And, don't underestimate their impression that, because we
    are teachers we are not artists as well.

    When I was subbing, I was also free-lancing as an illustrator. I would often
    bring my work with me (deadlines, you know). The kids would be very
    impressed and I would often hear later that the their reaction was "finally
    we got an art teacher that knows what she is doing."

    I'm only saying this to reinforce what I am hearing from you. That the kids
    respect the process and it makes us a little more like them if they know we
    struggle and strive to make decisions just as they do. And, things go wrong
    for us, too.

    I just gave a lesson on designing a clock. i am determined to make mine
    along with them.

    Patty

    ---