Re: Working alongside students...?

From: KPRS (KPRS)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 10:25:02 PDT

    While I haven't had the problem of vandalized work (as Maggie mentioned),. I
    did have a kid turn my work in once and claim it was his....laughed so hard,
    I had to go to the bathroom! (This is when I first taught and I made
    'samples').

    I don't work along side my students. When I first taught, I did, but then
    realized they took my work as "gospel" and tried to imitate me for that
    elusive grade. I do demonstrate specific problems (i.e. techniques, or if
    everyone in the class makes a similar mistake), but I don't start, nor
    finish what they start and finish.

    I have found over the years that I tell them why we are doing what we are
    doing, and that it has built on the last piece we worked on, so that they
    "know" what to do. I give ideas, but my kids say "stop giving us any more
    ideas..." (AND I LOVE THAT!!). Our 'lessons/projects" are sequential, so, as
    long, as my logic is their logic, well then...but sometimes, my 'logic' is
    definitely out in left field, and so I may require additional explanation!!

    I have plenty of time to go around to each kid and work with their specific
    questions, so basically that is how I work.

    San D

    ---