Re: NAEA Conference

From: Kay Broadwater (kbroadwater)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 10:10:45 PDT

    Hi Art Educators,
    I had to write and tell you of my experience with the recent conference in L.A.
    Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet too many of you but I did meet Judy and her
    husband at the Sax booth and enjoyed that immensely. I felt that the conference
    was excellent- overall. Before I traveled to L.A. I made arrangements with
    several people who I really wanted to meet (and pick their brains) for
    breakfast. This seems to be a good time to get together with folks. I was
    disappointed that I couldn't make the ArtsEdNet breakfast but I didn't get in
    till Friday
    I was excited about the conference because I had two presentations accepted- one
    on Sunday at 3:00 and one on Monday at 1:00. The one on Sunday was about the new
    Arts Integration Institute here at Towson University. I presented this with my
    colleague Jane Bates and about 35 people attended. But the one on Monday was
    about my passion-
    which is a program that I initiated about 5 years ago about a partnership between
    art education students and at-risk urban middle school students. I was thrilled
    with the time I was given until I realized that EVERYONE was in line to go to the
    Getty! I can't begin to tell you about the time and energy I had put into
    preparation for this presentation. I took over 90 slides, prepared 20 overhead
    transparencies and prepared handouts for 50 people. I had 4 people attend my
    session. Some of the other people presenting between 1:00 and 4:00 had zero
    attendance and just folded up shop! I guess I should have predicted this but I
    thought that since the shuttles were leaving between 12:30 and 2:30 that some
    folks would go to the Getty early and some would go later. After my
    presentation- I also went to the Getty at 2:30 and returned at 4:30. This was
    not enough time but I really think NAEA should not have planned to have
    presentations at the same time as the Getty tour. I am aware that in general
    there are good times and bad times to have a presentation. Two years ago, in
    Chicago, I had a Sunday morning time which was the last day of the conference.
    So, I realize that someone has to get the crummy times but there was no way that
    any of us can compete with the Getty Museum!! Anyway, besides this one major let
    down I found the sessions and workshops to be informative, challenging and
    inspiring.
    Your fellow art educator, Kay

    ---