Re: Working alongside students...?

From: gregjuli
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 07:10:56 PDT

    HI Sharon and all,
    Yes I have at times worked along side with my students and have enjoyed
    it. You are right that they see another side to us . It has also
    allowed me to also see another side to the students as well, either from
    simple converstion or discussing their work. And (depending on the
    class) often there is a calmness in the room ,even though I'm not
    "policing"
    I also display a piece of my art in the room each year. I usually change
    the piece every so often. I get a kick out of the comments from the
    students like...... You (?) painted that- WOW!
    I laugh and tell them, "Oh, ya , I took a few art classes in my days".
    It is important for the students to see the artist side of you. There is
    another level of respect.
    MaryB

    Sharon wrote:

    > They see me struggle with some of the problem-solving issues involved
    > (as they are doing on their projects), and they know I understand how
    > frustrated they can get when something just won't go right. I'm just
    > wondering if anyone else has worked along with their students on a
    > personal project? (And of course, as I have all day to work on this,
    > it's not diminishing the time I have to help them with their work
    > during each class period.)

    ---