Re: Working alongside students...?

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 07:09:39 PDT

    Iteachart7 wrote:

    > In a message dated 4/8/00 12:01:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    > sharonbk writes:
    > >
    > > But beyond that, it seems that by allowing them to see me as "artist"
    > > instead of just "art teacher," it has increased their respect for me in
    > both
    > > roles. <snip>
    >

    > <snip>. I usually spend 5 minutes at each table working along side of them.
    > This way if they have a problem, I'm right there They do enjoy it and your
    > absolutely right about seeing you as an artist and dealing with the same
    > frustrations that they may feel. And they do love when something doesn't
    > quiet work for me. It makes me more "human" and approachable.

    I've been following this thread with interest and envy. Do any of you have a
    problem with students jeering that you must not be a "real" artist because you
    _do_ struggle and make mistakes? This is along the same lines we were
    discussing a while back: they see those TV artists' heavily edited shows and
    think we should be able to turn out a perfect work in 30 minutes. I've also had
    problems in the past, when working in class, with my work getting vandalized if
    I turn my back.

    This discussion makes me want to try again. Any advice? And how do you manage
    to stay seated long enough to get anything done without being asked for help?

    Maggie

    ---