Re: Working alongside students...?

From: Iteachart7
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 06:20:12 PDT

    In a message dated 4/8/00 12:01:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    sharonbk writes:

    > But beyond that, it seems that by allowing them to see me as "artist"
    > instead of just "art teacher," it has increased their respect for me in
    both
    > roles. Also, I'm finding that more kids are staying after class to talk
    with
    > me about personal issues--and they're also wanting to put more effort into
    > their own projects.
    >
    > I'm just wondering if anyone else has worked along with their students on
    > personal project?
    Sharon;
    This is the way I teach all my classes. After demonstrating and have the
    students come up and demonstrate, materials are handed out and we get to
    work. I usually spend 5 minutes at each table working along side of them.
    This way if they have a problem, I'm right there They do enjoy it and your
    absolutely right about seeing you as an artist and dealing with the same
    frustrations that they may feel. And they do love when something doesn't
    quiet work for me. It makes me more "human" and approachable.
    I used to make just one demo model per section, but they all want me to work
    the same amount of time as them so the can see where they should be. So, at
    the moment, I have 3 screamers in process and 3 colorwheel paintings going
    on! They put my work with theirs and they enjoy handing it out each class.
    It's a good thing{:o)
    peace
    Gabrielle

    ---