Re: Working alongside students...?

From: Artystyc3
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 06:00:12 PDT

    Sharon,
    With every project I do a demo. I also bump it up a notch to show them what a
    professional would do with the material and the personal challenge.
    It brings out the best in them , for them to see the subject handled in a
    professional manner. I get them going each day, reviewing what we did and
    expanding where they can go and then I work alongside till they engage. Then
    I continue on my work.
    It's essential, I believe , for them to see a working artist. It helps them
    find relevence in what they create. They view what they do as art...and not a
    school assignment. I've found less students working to be the first done, and
    more walking around gathering and processing ideas. Sometimes they stare,
    watching me solve the moment by moment decisions I make and quietly go back
    to their work. Other times I engage them in a citique of my work and have
    them help me decide what to
    do next. This has also opened the door for discussions between students about
    their work.......a major breakthrough, don't you think??
    Patti

    ---