Re: NAEA Presentations

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 22:34:09 PDT

    mscurfield wrote:

    > Thanks for giving us the direction we needed on this one Maggie. On
    > my way home today after taking slides of the Spring Art Show I about
    > half decided to send in a proposal for next year. My favorite
    > workshops are the ones where people just basically share their
    > favorite and most successful lessons, with slides of the results.
    > Although I'm deathly afraid of speaking in front of groups--I think I
    > could share slides on a screen, make some overheads, handouts of
    > lesson plans, etc. The room the handouts would take up in my suitcase
    > would be handy for bringing back goodies from the vendors, museum
    > exchange, etc! I have given a workshop for Arts Partners called
    > Webbing the Visual Arts to the Curriculum Four: Math, Science,
    > Language Arts and Social Studies. It was mostly a hands-on workshop
    > and this would be a slide talk, but many of the concepts would
    > transfer of course.

    Good for you, Marcia, you should try it. It's so gratifying to be able
    to give something back to the colleagues who have given me so many great
    ideas. I was absolutely petrified the first couple of times I
    presented, but now I can relax and have fun with my audience. The best
    presentations, to me, are the ones with handouts that are comprehensive
    enough that I can go back to my classroom, gather the materials, and
    teach it. You know how long it takes to plan a new lesson, research the
    background, find visuals to go with it, figure out the management of
    supplies, work on the day to day routine; I try to write my handouts so
    the attendees have all that information to take back to their
    classrooms.

    Maggie

    ---