Re: Working alongside students...?

From: Artemis420
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 22:03:28 PDT

    sharonbk writes:

    << Without really planning to do so, during our current unit involving the
    making of wire and sculpey figure sculptures, I began creating a sculpture of
    my own. We'd been discussing Edvard Munch and how all artwork isn't
    necessarily pretty or pleasant, and talked about how art is sometimes a means
    to expressing powerful emotions in order to get them "out in the open." >>
     In philosophy there is something called 'the paradox of the ugly.' It goes
    like this:
    the ugly whether found in works of art or in ordinary experience, is supposed
    to be distasteful and unappealing yet under certain circumstances, the ugly
    has an appealing aesthetic fascination and pleasure associated with it.
    Artie

    ---