Working alongside students...?

From: Sharon (sharonbk)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 21:01:26 PDT

    Without really planning to do so, during our current unit involving the making of wire and sculpey figure sculptures, I began creating a sculpture of my own. We'd been discussing Edvard Munch and how all artwork isn't necessarily pretty or pleasant, and talked about how art is sometimes a means to expressing powerful emotions in order to get them "out in the open."

    In my creation of a rather disturbing sculpture, I've found several interesting things happening. One is that the students are fascinated with what I'm doing. They see me struggle with some of the problem-solving issues involved (as they are doing on their projects), and they know I understand how frustrated they can get when something just won't go right.

    But beyond that, it seems that by allowing them to see me as "artist" instead of just "art teacher," it has increased their respect for me in both roles. Also, I'm finding that more kids are staying after class to talk with me about personal issues--and they're also wanting to put more effort into their own projects.

    I'm just wondering if anyone else has worked along with their students on a personal project? (And of course, as I have all day to work on this, it's not diminishing the time I have to help them with their work during each class period.)

    But it's been really interesting and I may do this again during other units. The first pictures of some of the finished wire & sculpey figure sculptures are posted on my website. http://home.adelphia.net/~sharonbk More pictures will be posted next week.

    Sharon
    sharonbk
    Artwork & Lesson Plans, Genealogy Info, etc.
    http://home.adelphia.net/~sharonbk

    ---