Re:iMac vs G4

From: Teri Brudnak (tbrudnak)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 11:44:11 PDT

    ubject: Computer setup G4 vs imac Help
    From: Tammie Tonniges <ttonnig.ne.us>
    Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 09:13:17 -0500 (CDT)

    We are getting a new Mac Lab. We asked for G4 with 17 inch monitors and
    now they want to put in imac's. Need good arguments for the G4 over the
    imacs. This lab may not be replaced for 5-10 years. I teach Graphic
    Design the programs we use are Photoshop 5.5 and Freehand 8. We would
    like to add some type of animation and 3D program in the future. Would
    the imac holdup? Need help thanks.

    Tammie Tonniges, Teacher

    Good grief--stick to your guns and don't let them bamboozle you!!! You
    need a real pro graphics machine--not an internet connection!!!
    Photoshop is a real memory hog and you will need the power of a G3 or
    G4. We run a lab with 29 G3 and G4 machines and I expect to get great
    performance from them for another 3-5 yrs depending on the new
    developments in technology and software. We are even outfitting one of
    the existing G4s with a really big hard drive in the fall so that we can
    get into digital video.
    Take a good look at what your programs require to run and compile the
    statistics. They (administrators)are probably acting out of
    ignorance.You need some hard facts to educate them--take a look at the
    Adobe web site and ask them the same question.

    Teri Brudnak
    Corona del Mar High School
    Newport Beach,CA

    ---