re: NAEA story

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2000 - 12:57:43 PDT

    <<Three-fourths of the way through, a man entered the
    workshop and sat down a couple of seats from me. He listened for 10
    minutes
    and at a lull in the conversation, preceded to inform us all that she
    had
    misspelled some Aborginal words, had some figures wrong, etc. and pretty

    much told her that Australians didn't like for the "Americans" to be
    teaching about their culture.>>

    I hate people like that! I know we have discussed this on the list
    before, about how to present a culture to our students without causing
    offense. Yes, we respect the cultures and don't want to step on their
    toes... BUT how are others supposed to learn about them unless someone
    teaches them? I, personally, have been fortunate enough to visit
    Australia (for only 2 weeks, not exactly immersed in culture), but how
    many of our students will get that chance?? And was the guy an
    Aborigine?? Or just a white Aussie? When I visited AU, I went to
    several galleries with strictly Aboriginal art and met some of the
    artists. They were always super nice and loved the fact that I was an
    art teacher and wanted to bring back art to show my students.

    Anyway, sorry to vent, but that makes me mad. He could have EASILY
    handled it with more tact... and privacy! How rude.

    teri

    ---