Re: NAEA story...(long)

From: Sidnie Miller (sidmill.us)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 20:46:20 PDT

    I wanted to give you my NAEA conference story which was largely positive.
    I loved the hotel, and especially the outside elevators which had
    super views of the downtown area---not only did you burst
    down through the glass ceiling from a quick 28 floors, but you went
    through a
    cement column on your breakthrough which was really startling!! and then
    you ended up half underwater as the huge fountain and pool system
    surrounded the elevators. Food was expensive and not easy to get. The
    Binney & Smith reception was disappointing--it was too crowded and
    basically an exercise in standing in line--I did manage to eat wine and
    lemon bars so, actually, I don't know why I am complaining--two of my
    favorite things!

    There were many research sessions and tons of curriculum and assessment
    issues, but then, this is the state of art and education generally right
    now. I think that doctoral and master's candidates need to present their
    theses publically and the national is the perfect venue, so you have to
    read carefully and try to avoid them--although they are sooo happy to have
    you come in that it's hard to leave without breaking their hearts.

    I found many good sessions in the free ones. I was pleased with the size
    of the rooms, and felt that I could always squeeze in to listen--sometimes
    sit on the floor--sometimes a huge body press-eg. Bunki and Carolyn's
    session Wow!! In years past with rooms that only held 20 people it was
    unreal what people would do to beat you in and to grab handouts. The
    handout
    problem was still there but the business office of the hotel was willing
    to copy handouts for you--they had a huge list of handouts that you could
    check off so
    that was great--also expensive and a waiting line.

    The Getty was absolutely fabulous. It's a wonderful thing what you can do
    with unlimited funds--I'm sure they were happy to staff the place for an
    extra day to have 3000 visitors who truly appreciate the arts. Everyone
    should try to visit it sometime--the architecture is incredible--and the
    exhibits are great too. A workshop at the Museum of COntemporary Art was
    very disappointing--they tied us up in a room to talk to us about "what
    was
    art" and what modern art was about--duh. Then they expected us to sit in
    room with several minimalist sculptures and discuss them for an
    hour--excuse me--I didn't come this far for this. I slipped out and
    enjoyed their Tony Oursler exhibit. There wasn't any
    information on local sites to see and how to get there. Think there had
    been some hard feelings between national and calif. people who weren't
    contacted at all or informed.

    I went to a glass fusing workshop that was fun--also sculptural
    bookmaking which was great. Some fun session ideas were to take a couple
    of double sheets of newspaper and tape the edges together to make a large
    pouch--then stuff with scrunched up newspaper to make a pillow and tape
    the end closed. Then cover with 2 or 3 sheets deep of paper mache.
    Finish with strips of rolled paper in the appropriate color (or just use
    newsprint and gesso with latex). Then create your favorite snack food
    bag--she had a Cheetos bag that was fabulous--also twisted the ends of one
    to make a jolly rancher. inspiration was pop art.

    Another lady with not great computer set up gave her kids the assignment
    of creating a drawing using 7 kinds of lines (short, dark, dotted
    etc.)then she scanned the drawings into her computer and had the kids do a
    mirrow image of their design and enhance if desired--then she printed it
    once on regular paper and once on acetate. She mounted it under a mat
    with the regular paper, then about an inch of foamcore, then the acetate
    that was offset by 30 degrees so that it created a moire pattern. They
    were gorgeous!! She also had them do various kinds of prints and embossed
    designs below--shoot them sideways with a spray can of paint to give a
    small 3/d effect and mount them as before under an acetate print of
    themselves.
    Another idea (I hope I didn't already say this to the list) was to do a
    self portrait of yourself which included an animal that was important to
    you (Frieda Kahlo was inspiration). Make the drawing then transfer with
    carbon paper onto 1/4" plywood with a double door cut out of the center.
    Doors were hinged by gluing a strip of fabric down each side. Images were
    painted with acrylic, then a mirror was glued to the back so that when
    you looked at your self-portrait you could open the doors and see your
    image.

    Generally I think Maggie hit the nail on the head--it's members that do
    the sessions, so if you weren't satisfied, by all means apply to present
    next year and show us how it's done!! Tired and happy-Sid
    # Sidnie Miller #
    # Elko Junior High School #
    # 777 Country Club Drive #
    # Elko, NV 89801 #