Great Night

From: Patricia Knott (pknott)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 18:24:47 PDT

    I am a member of my county's IU Arts Advisory Council. Every year we try at
    least once, to present a workshop for art teachers that is "hands on" for us
    - not curriculum or assessment or any of that junk, but an opportunity for
    us to learn a new technique and to MAKE something.

    I just returned from our workshop tonight and I feel great. We did Gyotaku
    fish printing with teacher/artist David j. Denick from New Jersey. He
    brought real fish and within a couple of hours we all had great prints. His
    website is www.fishprints.com if you are interested.

    We also had Diane Mauer who showed a very easy method of marbling paper with
    dyes. She is the author of The Ultimate Marbling Handbook and Paper Art.
    She is a wonderfully unassuming presenter and I sure picked her brain.

    I came home, after 4 short hours with great prints and marbled papers and
    lots of enthusiasm. It was just the lift I needed at this time of the year.

    I also want to apologize to several people on the list who asked me for
    specifics on certain posts I have made. Last weekend I upgraded my internet
    service and in the process lost everything I was saving to respond to. If
    anyone remembers anything you asked of me, please feel free to contact me at
    pknott

    I have enjoyed hearing the reactions to your experiences at the convention.
    LA was just too far for me this year, but hope I can do NY next year. My
    district is pretty negative about workshops and conferences because we can't
    seem to get subs.

    Anybody in a district found a solution to the sub problem?

    I hope you all have opportunities like mine tonight. When I have so many
    days when I think I can't do this school thing anymore , I am glad to take
    the time to participate in this kind of activity.

    We DO have much to give to each other and I always find that art teachers
    are SO generous in sharing.

    Patty

    ---