Re: Pantyhose Wire Sculpture (Holly)

From: Janjarreau
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 17:59:21 PDT

    Dear Holly,
        I too am doing the pantyhose sculptures for the first time. I have
    really changed things up a bit because I used medium sized bottles of gesso
    to start with and this lasted only 2 periods for 1 coat. My co-op ran and
    got some Alenes fabric stiffener which turned hard the next day but they were
    very brittle. I still had about 2 gallons of heavy duty wallpaper paste left
    over from my experience at the high school (collage) so I mixed some of that
    with a little white latex paint and some water to make a creamy paste. Today
    we were prepared to do the fun painting, but I still felt they were somewhat
    fragile. People have a tendency to poke on them once they find out they are
    pantyhose, so I remembered someone said she uses a layer of paper mache
    (newspaper and straight wallpaper paste). I think just that one layer may
    have done the trick today so we should be ready to paint them tomorrow. I
    used acrylic paint on mine. Others say tempera will crack. My co-op has
    latex paint in many colors donated so we may try that. I have brought in my
    personal acrylic paints to share for details. I have suggested they look at
    their shape and decide what it is. They may also just paint it like faux
    stone, marble, wood or bronze etc... I have done up some samples. One of
    mine is done with many patterns. The artist I have introduced is Henry
    Moore. The test will be to tell me his name, the name of at least one of his
    sculptures and 3 significant facts, more if they know more. They know
    plenty. I will let you know how everything turns out.
    Janice

    In a message dated 4/5/00 9:18:57 PM Central Daylight Time, BaaaRamU